Friday, October 10, 2014

Gillian - The Eyes In My Head EP

"The Eyes in my Head" the followup to Gillian's 2013's two song effort "Freak Flag", opens with the warm, atmospheric "Spirit Night". A song as uplifting as the title implies. Celebratory, nerdy and somewhat spastic, it has an immediate impact that had me leaning in, wondering where this was taking me.

"Out & Out", my personal favorite takes the listener even forward with it's dreamy keys and Kym Hawkins addictive vocal qualities.
The airy, atmospheric qualities continue to draw the ears in. There's an unwritten invitation to not only dance, but lose any inhibitions you may have brought along with you.
A gateway drug to happiness, to say the very least.

While "Breathing in Style" brings me back a bit to the more Pop rock stylings of say, Invisible Lines. The songs overall vibe reminds me of that of the EP's opening track.
"The Good Life" closes out the set on a high note. I couldn't help but find myself arguing with.... myself on whether or not this would win the "personal favorite" award. Luckily, I won't have to decide any time soon.

Overall, "The Eyes in my Head" deliver four intoxicating songs that make you want to dance and just plain celebrate all the good things in life. Proving that dance music is more than DJ's, programmed music and auto tune. Brooklyn's Gillian have something quite appealing to offer. Personally, I am more than happy to accept. James Damion

Gillian Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment