Friday, July 18, 2014

Live Music Lives in the Basements and Back Rooms of Our Souls.

With the closing of Maxwell's and the continuing restoration of the nearby Meatlocker. Finding a local spot to see your favorite bands has become harder and harder these days. With mounting tolls, speeding tickets and empty gas tanks adding up. I decided to shorten my trip and head west to Montclair to see what everyone was not talking about when it came to The Batcave.

Désir Decir opened the night on a very high note. The trio hailing from Union and Jersey City have been playing out regularly in support of their debut EP "Mechanics" recently released on Keanry's Killing Horse Records. I think I've missed several shows due to monsoon rain, hurricanes and doomsday prophecies.  Lucky for me, there was no impending doom being reported on this Wednesday night. The bands live presence and performance are definitely praise worthy. It's bands like Désir Decir that reenforce my love for live music and make leaving the apartment on a weekday night a rewarding experience.
Desir Decir Facebook
Killing Horse Records  Purchase "Mechanics" Here


Next up was local heroes the Life Eaters. I've seen the band several times in the past. 
Each time I left feeling the venue lacked the space and/or ambiance deserving of such amazing energy. Well, maybe it wasn't the amount of space after all. Perhaps a dirty, no frills, no advertisement, broken toilet basement was just what the band need to perfectly display their gift from bombast and savagery. The five piece band featuring current and former members of Désir Decir, No Pasarán, Merel, Rye Coalition and the co mastermind of Killing Horse Records. Plain and simple this bands brand of testosterone driven Rock & Roll is so satisfying. There's an incredible energy about Life Eaters that cannot be contained. The band should have their debut EP out soon on Killing Horse. In my opinion, it couldn't possibly come soon enough.
Life Eaters Facebook


It takes a lot of heart to stand up on a stage with nothing but a song in your heart and an acoustic in your hands. His stripped down whispered style reminded me at times of acts such as Ween and the Front Bottoms but overall was a bit of a stretch for me being I was not provided with a comfy chair and a stiff drink. I never bothered to remove my camera from it's cozy during the set. Their was a certain intimacy about his performance I wouldn't dare disrupt.Though I can respect the art of the song. This really wasn't my thing. 

Closing an already stellar night on a high note were Jersey City's Overlake. It had been quite some time since I last saw the band perform at Asbury Lanes for the annual Dromedary Records Camelfest. That night the bands performance left my jaw and a big, soggy pile of drool on in the gutters of the Bowling Alley/Performance space. Add to it their album "Sighs" one of 2014 most rewarding releases and I felt somewhat lucky to be there to support the start of their tour in such an intimate setting. Tom, Lysa and Scotty make for a powerful trio. They create a soundscape that is introspective and melancholy. Though the bands sound has it share of key influences. I can't help but feel they listened to their share of 
My Bloody Valentine. Prior to the show I sat outside with Tom and talked about the first time we met. At the time, he was the drummer for No Pasarán. Since then, I've witnessed him become one of the best multi instrumentalists in the scene. Playing guitar and keys with The Everyman and singing, playing guitar and writing for Overlake. Though his personality seems to avoid the spotlight. His talent shines bright enough to warrant a long stay. 
Best of luck to them on the tour. 
Overlake  Facebook
Killing Horse Records  Purchase "Sighs" Here

Thanks to all the bands and the people who run the Batcave. I can see this place becoming my permanent residency. Until then. James Damion

No comments:

Post a Comment