Friday, June 19, 2015

Archie Alone - Through The Door 4 Song Cassette

Every now and then I catch myself thinking "If I only had a record label." "This would be the first band I'd sign." Over the last couple of years that thought seems to limit itself to the many times I've listened to or seen a live performance of New Jersey's Archie Alone.
And while the band has been a personal favorite for some time now. Archie Alone's studio and recorded output has been criminally sparse.
Limiting our exposure to their live performances at local clubs such as The Meatlocker,
ABC No Rio and everywhere in between.

On their latest EP
Through the Door, a four song cassette release recorded within the cavernous walls of the bands home away from homes. Archie Alone, with the help of their close friend, producer and wonder kin
Ana Dobrian, carve out on of the most powerfully emotive releases I've heard in ages. Warm, yet crushing guitars meet powerfully emotive vocals that reach heights of strength and vulnerability seldom heard in music today. Vocalist (and as in recent months, second guitar) Nicole Mesce has a unique ability that keeps the listener hanging on every word as if it was the last gasp of a beloved spokesman of our generation. While the bands personnel may have not even been born when bands such as Embrace, 3 and Rites of Spring were leaving their footprints on what was to become known as Emo. Archie Alone immediately remind me of the impact those bands and that sound had on me. I can easily look to the third track Furlough as evidence to the spell this release has put on me. The best way to describe my reaction would be to note the chills that travelled up and down my spine as it's four plus minutes unfolded.

Overall, a vital and absolutely necessary release that has a very intimate and live vibe about it. One that makes you feel as if you're being treated to a living room performance. Through the Door is available on cassette (While they last) which includes a digital download for those of us without access to such ancient technology.
Check their bandcamp page for more info. James Damion

Archie Alone  Bandcamp
Archie Alone  Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment