Wednesday, January 1, 2014

25 Years Later. N.Y.H.C. Classics from 1989

1989 was a banner year for me. One year removed from High School. I was back in my hometown of Jackson Heights and had published a whopping thousand copies the second issue of Unite, I was in either the studio or a practice space somewhere in Queens or Manhattan and shared what was my first apartment with a couple of Gorilla Biscuits and the drummer for Beyond. My first car was on it's last leg but still kicking. I was going to shows two, three times a week at places like CBGB's, The Anthrax, The Sundance,
The Right Track Inn and The Pyramid to name just a few. Above all, it was a banner year for two music genres I found myself deeply immersed in, Hip Hop and Hardcore. As I begin to collect my very own, opinionated and albeit flawed list of favorites from 1989. I'll present you with my list of favorite LP's to come out of the bursting NYHC scene twenty five long years ago. Feel free to comment with yours. James Damion                                                             
Blackout Records - Where The Wild Things Are

Killing Time - Brightside

Leeway - Born to Expire

Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today

Sick of it All - Blood, Sweat and No Tears

Youth of Today - We're Not in this Alone

Judge - Bringin' it Down

Token Entry - Jaybird

Underdog - The Vanishing Point


1 comment: