Friday, February 15, 2013

TV Sound - Record Jacket Life

As we returned from vacation
I was greeted by a package from my favorite local record nerds at Killing Horse Records.
Within the package were familiar new releases from Cicada Radio Review and
The Everymen Review. Releases I had waited on for months with baited breath. Along with those familiar faces came the highly recommended "Record Jacket Life" by TV Sound, a band I had no previous knowledge of.

Though I thought this to be a new release
"Record Jacket Life" is a
re-release of the Kearny, NJ bands 1999 album.
In hindsight I'm happy to have had a chance to listen to this for the first time in 2013, being that my taste in music has evolved some over the years. I'm not sure I would have appreciated it as much then as I do now.

There's not a wasted note on here. A perfect blend of straight up rock and roll sprinkled with power pop muscle, punk attitude and post punk brilliance. As I listened to these sixteen tracks I couldn't help but be reminded of the big power pop sound that peaked just prior to the rise of MTV. "End of Arrogance" is an outstanding track deserves a peak spot on your favorite mix tape. The opening chords to "Posters" immediately had me thinking of R.E.M.'s "What's the Frequency Kenneth". The bratty vocals and genius bass work that follow are as close to perfection as it gets. "Record Jacket Life" is a  gem of an album just waiting to be revisited.
Though the band had been out of commission for years. They're writing new songs and just might  have new music to share in the coming year. One can only hope.
James Damion

Get it Here  KillingHorse Records

No comments:

Post a Comment