Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pelican - Ataraxia / Taraxis 12" ep Southern Lord Records

I'll admit that I lost interest in Pelicans brand of instrumetal music after the album Australasia, but I have to say that I think I may be back in their corner after spinning their new 4 song ep "Ataraxia/Taraxis"  nonstop over the past few days.

Ataraxia/Taraxis creates a cool mood between it's extended lullaby like intro that leads us into a big warm riff fest before slowly bringing us back down to a calmer place as the record moves towards the finish line.  If you are familiar with Pelican's back catalog then you know what to expect from these guys and I can't say that they have taken any real risks here as far as the music goes, but what they have done is deliver a very good slab of thick, warm and dare I say emotional  instrumental quasi metal that sounds so good I think I have to go back and give their last few records a listen to see what I have been missing...Dave  G

No comments:

Post a Comment