Monday, August 1, 2011

Sick Jerk? - Frauds

I picked up a copy of 'Frauds' after experiencing a less than stellar set they played at a friends garage show. Let's just say the cost of two dollars and my morbid curiosity got the best of me on that night. Upon listening to ten tracks on this DIY disc I can't help but think,
"I could have gotten two Cokes and a Snickers with that two bucks."

As the disc opens you are lulled into a false sense of security. Reassuring yourself, "This isn't bad." "I mean I'm getting a little Dead Milkmen meets Ween on horse tranquilizers here." But that sense of hope quickly fades as the disc drags you into what feels like an endless bad trip.

Rockaway, New Jersey's 'Sick Jerk?'s sound is laid back, jangly, lazy and drags throughout. On "In Space No One Can Here You Say AHHHHH", a 5:27 minute descent into hell, you feel as if you're going to slit your throat just to save your ears from any more pain. 'Believe the Lie' and 'Buckshot Party' are the only standout tracks on here. The fact that they're buried towards the back doesn't do nearly enough to bring you back from your deep sleep. It's very rare when I can't find anything good to say about a release but I will have to make an exception here. Judge for yourself, if you dare.
James Damion

Sick Jerk Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment